Download the full position paper here
The American natural gas resource base is far greater than thought a decade ago, thanks largely to innovative uses of existing technologies to develop unconventional natural gas supplies, like shale gas, coalbed methane and tight gas. Prudent and environmentally responsible development of this unconventional resource base—which accounts for a rapidly increasing portion of natural gas supplies—is transforming the American economy, increasing energy security and improving air quality. Development also is fueling new domestic industrial expansion, creating American jobs, generating tax and other revenue for the local, state and federal government, and benefitting homeowners, businesses and other consumers of natural gas.
INGAA members believe:
- The natural gas industry is vital to the U.S. economy, generating millions of jobs, stimulating economic activity and providing significant revenues to federal, state and local governments.
- Development of America’s natural gas resource base, including gas from shale and other unconventional sources, in a safe and environmentally responsible manner will benefit further the U.S.’ economy, air quality, energy security and its natural gas consumers.
- An open public dialogue and stakeholder engagement is vital to securing broad-based support for natural gas supply and infrastructure development.
- State, local and federal policies need to balance appropriately the need for increased natural gas supply with concerns over the environment and other issues.
- Regulators at all levels (federal, state and local) should support public policies that promote the prudent and safe construction and operation of the infrastructure (pipelines, storage, processing and other facilities) needed to bring natural gas supplies to market.